Monday, August 24, 2009

Simple Curtains

This summer I spent some time focusing on adding cheer to my windows. In the past I have fussed way too much with complicated window treatments but I am over that now. I'm all about simple curtains. Now I keep it effortless by letting the fabric do the work and it does it so beautifully.

This back door curtain started as a valance that I bought at a yard sale. The valance hung for years and really did not add much to the window. I brought home this great, gigantic strawberry, Japanese fabric thinking that it would be the curtain to replace the valance. To my surprise the fabric and the valance worked well together but instead of the valance being at the top I added it as a trim to the bottom of the curtain.

When I make curtains I start with measuring length and width. Then I add about 4 inches to the length for a top casing of about 2 inches and a 2 inch hem. The width measurement I usually double, depending on the fabric. Sometimes taking the width 1 1/2 times works and occassionally I enjoy flat curtains. On the sides I fold under a 1/2 inch and then another 1/2 inch or I zig zag the edge and fold it under 1/2 inch one time and stitch it down.


I love the retro look of this kitchen curtain in a fun festive print by Moda.


This last simple curtain is hanging in my hubby's bathroom. It is not the fabric he picked but I put it up and he never said a word. I think he secretly likes it. Really, who doesn't like flowers.
So here they are, no lining, no tabs, no pleats, nothing fancy, just simple curtains in fabrics that make me happy.
Thank you April Rhodes for taking the photos!!

9 comments:

joy said...

they are all my favorite! i bet your house can feel the love.

Cristin said...

LOVE your cute curtains! The brown/orange Moda ones are to die for! I think I'll be making curtains for our nursery (shhhhh - I'm due in March! Family doesn't know yet :-) Thanks for the inspiration!

Erin said...

Love your curtains Anita! I think simple curtains are the way to go. Great fabric choices! I especially love the kitchen curtains.

Rin said...

Wow, good idea using valance to the bottom of the curtain!

crrv said...

When I was 5 years old (oh, about 30 years ago) I had sunflower curtains that looked EXACTLY like the ones you made for your hubby. The photo made me smile.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kelley k. said...

is the flower moda fabric still available?? if so please point me to it - it would be PERFECT for my living room.

Anita Bowman said...

The Moda fabric is the white one. The yellow flower fabric is Japanese and we don't have it any longer. Hope it comes back one day.

Geek+Nerd said...

The strawberry curtains are my favorite - super cute!